29th Division - 115th Regiment - After Action Report

I  Summary of Operations
A.  Phase #1
1.  Landing Operations 6 June 1944.
The 115th Infantry landed at 1025 hours, with the 1st and 2nd Battalions abreast on Fox Green beach, about 1000 yards east of that part of the beach on which it was intended to land. The 2nd Battalion on the right crossed the beach and started up the cliff, making slow progress due to mines. The progress of the 1st Battalion on the left was faster. It pushed inland to the south of St. Laurent, reaching there about dark. This battalion was subjected to heavy fire from snipers and mortar fire throughout the night. Lt. Col. Richard C. Blatt became fatally wounded by mortar fire. The 2nd Battalion attempted to capture St. Laurent, but was unsuccessful. It then moved to the south of the town, into the woods, about one-half mile to the west. Regimental Headquarters landed with the landing battalions, and remained on the beach under artillery fire until 1600 hours. At 1630 hours, the headquarters moved the CP inland to a trail cast of St. Laurent.
2. Advance inland from Beach to Inundated Area.
During the night 6-7 June the 3rd Battalion moved to the outskirts of St. Laurent. At daybreak the attacked the town and by midmorning had secured it. They then pushed toward Louvieres. The 2nd Battalion was held in the woods all through the day. The 1st Battalion moved to the woods about 1200 yards to the west of St. laurent. During the morning the CP moved into St. Laurent xxxxx severe sniper fire. In the afternoon it was moved further forward, to the rear of the 2nd Battalion. The 3rd Battalion was held up in front of Louvieres. In the later afternoon, altough the battalions were widely separated, the attack was continued in the direction of Longueville. The 2nd Battalion was only battalion that succeeded in moving forward. The attack continued until 0300 hours. The 2nd Battalion was  in the stream valley northwest of Montigny and the attack was halted there daylight. The attack was then resumed, with the 1st and 2nd Battalions generally abreast. Longueville was captured at 0900 hours by the 2nd Battalion, which assumed a defensive position wwest of the town. The 1st battalion moved forward and assumed the defensive to the ast of the town because Trevieres had not been captured. Early in the morning, the 3rd Battalion had begun moving to a defensive position west of Formigny to protect the left flank of the Division. later, they were moved to a defensive position west of Deux(Jumeaux, arriving there at 1800 hours. The Regimental CP, which had followed the 2nd Battalion, was established in Longueville.
B. Phase #2
1. Crossing Inundated Area.
During the night 8-9 June, the 3rd attalion, followed by the 2nd Battalion, moved to the vicinity of Canchy, started across the inundated area. The crossing was completed with the assistance of the Engineers. The 2nd Battalion moved to the vicinity of Bois de Calette, the 3rd battalion to the vicinity of Colombieres, and the 1st Battalion to the vicinity of Bricqueville.
At noon, the 2nd and 3rd battalions were ordered to continue their movement to the south. The 3rd Battalion moved against little enemy resistance, except for snipers. In the early afternoon, the 2nd Battalion encountered stubborn resistance at Veuilly. Late in the afternoon, this resistance was over come, when the battalion assumed a defesive position about amile southwest of xxxxxx. During the night 9-10 June, the 2nd Battalion was attacked by the Germans and suffered considerable losses, and was disorganized. Throught the periode 8-9 June, the 1st battalion remained in a defensive position at bricqueville, where it suffered almost continious attack from the Germans from the vicinity of Treveieres. As the other two battalions had moved miles south of the Germans at Treveieres, the 1st Battalion had the mission of protection, the left rear of the regiment.
2. 2nd Battalion Incident.
At approximately 0245 jours, 10 June 1944, a closing force of Germans Armor and Infantry which had been by-passed and out off to our rear and was attempting to retreat to its own lines stumbled on the rear of 2nd Battalion column to the surprise of both units. Opening fire with their MG's, mortars ans 88's a heavy and xxxxx section occurred in the dark with severe losses on both sides. The enemy tanks were knocked out, plus a 150mm field piece. The 2nd Battalion was left in a dispersed and disorganized state and control was not regained until after daylight. Battalion C.O., Lieutenant Colonel William E. Warfield was found dead, believed to have been killed at approximately 0300 hours. Replacements were received and the remainder of battalion were reorganized under command of Lieutenant Colonel Arthur T. Shoppe.